We're very pleased to share the recording of last week's amazing conversation between Alison Hawthorne Deming, Kathleen Dean Moore, and Mary Evelyn Tucker. As those who were able to catch it live know, these three wise and wonderful women took us on a journey into a variety of fascinating topics, most notably the jubilant music of the natural world around us and the power of that music to bring hope and help quell anguish in challenging times.
This version has been edited & subtitled.
To turn on the closed captioning, follow these intructions:
Mobile/app: click on the 3 dots in the top right of the viewing screen and change Closed Captions from “none” to “English SDH”
Desktop: click on the CC icon, and change to “English CC”
We also wanted to provide links to some follow-up resources that were shared with those in attendance, some of which are referenced in the recording:
Links from Orion Magazine:
- 20% off one-year subscription to Orion Magazine
- 20% off a purchase of Orion's anthology, “Old Growth”
- Orion Magazine website
Links to recordings from previous events in this series:
Links related to Yale:
- The Forest School at the Yale School of the Environment
- Yale Forest Forum
- Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology
Links related to Alison's work:
- Alison Hawthorne Deming's website
- “Zoologies: On Animals & the Human Spirit.” Milkweed, 2014.
- “A Woven World: On Fashion, Fisherman & the Sardine Dress.” Counterpoint, 2021.
- “Stairway to Heaven.” Penguin, 2016.
Links related to Kathy's work:
- “Earth's Wild Music: Celebrating and Defending the Songs of the Natural World.” Counterpoint Press, 2021.
- “Take Heart: Encouragement for Earth's Weary Lovers.” Oregon State University Press, 2022. With Bob Haverluck.
- “The Extinction Variations.” Rachelle McCabe, pianist; Kathleen Dean Moore, writer and speaker; Nara Garber, filmmaker.