The majority of the resources in this Ecojustice information hub are organized by specific religious tradition. But below we have provided some links to material regarding broader perspectives on Ecojustice, incuding material on the history and foundations of the movement. These sections are by no means comprehensive, and are provided as a jumping off point for further exploration of these topics.
- Thomas, Leah. The Intersectional Environmentalist: How to Dismantle Systems of Oppression to Protect People + Planet. New York: Voracious-Little, Brown, and Co., 2022.
- Prince, Shannon Joyce. Tactics for Racial Justice Building an Antiracist Organization and Community. New York & London: Routledge, 2022.
- Mendez, Michael. Climate Change From The Streets: How Conflict And Collaboration Strengthen The Environmental Justice Movement. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2020.
- Sze, Julie. Environmental Justice in a Moment of Danger. Oakland, CA: University of California Press, 2020.
- Holifield, Ryan, Jayajit Chakraborty, and Gordon Walker. The Routledge Handbook of Environmental Justice. New York and London: Routledge, 2020.
- Barlow, Maude. Whose Water Is It, Anyway?: Taking Water Protection into Public Hands. Toronto: ECW Press, 2019.
- Zimring, Carl A. Clean and White: A History of Environmental Racism in the United States. New York: NYU Press, 2016.
- Taylor, Dorceta. Toxic Communities: Environmental Racism, Industrial Pollution, and Residential Mobility. New York: NYU Press, 2014.
- Bullard, Robert D., ed. The Quest for Environmental Justice: Human Rights and the Politics of Pollution. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 2005.
- Cole, Luke and Sheila Foster. From the Ground Up: Environmental Racism and the Rise of the Environmental Justice Movement. New York: NYU Press, 2001.
- Bullard, Robert D. Dumping In Dixie: Race, Class, And Environmental Quality. New York and London: Routledge, 2000.
- Bullard, Robert D. Confronting Environmental Racism: Voices From the Grassroots. Boston: South End Press, 1999.
- Bullard, Robert D., ed. Unequal Protection: Environmental Justice and Communities of Color. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1996.
- Wilkins, Brett.“Big Environmental Justice Win as Florida LNG Export Terminal Canceled,” Common Dreams, July 20, 2023.
- Wilkins, Brett. “Grassroots-Run Fund for Frontline Power Pours $5 Million Into US Climate Justice Groups,” Common Dreams, July 17, 2023.
- Adisa-Farrar, Teju. “How 600 Years of Environmental Violence Is Still Harming Black Communities,” Earthjustice, February 2, 2023.
- “Baltimore Blocks EPA Plan to Dump Toxic Wastewater From East Palestine,” Common Dreams, 2023.
- “The Civil Rights Movement Fought for Environmental Justice Long Before Earth Day,” Truthout, 2023.
- “EPA unveils new office to place environmental justice at agency’s core,” Washington Post, 2022.
- “E.P.A. Will Make Racial Equality a Bigger Factor in Environmental Rules,” New York Times, 2022.
- “‘This is environmental racism’: How a protest in a North Carolina farming town sparked a national movement,” Washington Post, 2021; contains profiles and history of early frontrunners of the movement in the 1970s & 1980s
- The Principles of Environmental Justice, as set forth at the 1991 First National People of Color Environmental Leadership Summit
- Fact Sheet: A Year Advancing Environmental Justice, US White House, January 26, 2022
- Global Environmental Justice Documentaries, 1993-2018
- EcoJustice Radio
- EcoJustice for All Interview Series
- A Letter from Maya K. van Rossum: Racial Justice Demands Constitutional “Green Amendments”
Links and Other Resources
- Website of Dr. Robert Bullard, Father of the environmental justice movement
- The Environmental Justice Movement Explainer, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), 2016
- Environmental Justice in the 21st Century, Environmental Justice Resource Center at Clark Atlanta University, Robert D. Bullard, 2008; a 22-page document with photos on the history of the movement and the challenges ahead
- Energy Justice Network, Environmental Justice/Racism resource list
- The American Environmental Justice Movement entry, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Environmental Racism and the Environmental Justice Movement, Resource Guide from Edmonds College Library
- The Links Between Racism and Climate Change, Yale Climate Connections, collection of helpful links to print & multimedia resources
- Restorative Justice Responses to Environmental Harm, IUCN Report, IUCN Netherlands & Earth Restorative Justice
- Restorative Environmental Justice, European Forum on Environmental Justice, fact sheet with links
- EPA on Environmental Justice, includes a timeline of the movement's history
- North Carolina Department of Crime Control and Public Safety: Final Report, PCB Waste Disposal Site, Warren County, NC, September 1983
- What is Climate Justice: The 6 Pillars, University of California Center for Climate Justice; Helpful descriptions and definitions with supporting multimedia resources
Header Image: Brighton, UK, 2020, Hundreds of school children go on strike from school to demand environmental justice; Rupert Rivett/Shutterstock