United Nations Environment Programme Faith for Earth Initiative
In 2008, the United Nations passed a resolution to promote interreligious and intercultural dialogue, understanding and cooperation for peace, and established the UN Inter-agency Task Force on Religion and Development in 2010. The task force is composed of 19 United Nations organizations, including United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Following a series of initiatives and conventions organized in partnership with faith-based organizations, UNEP launched the Faith for Earth Initiative in November 2017. The goal of Faith for Earth is to strategically engage with faith-based organizations and partner with them to collectively achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and fulfill the objectives of the 2030 Agenda. On July 15-16, the UN Office at Nairobi hosted “Laudato Si’ Generation: Young People Caring for Our Common Home,” an international conference on the 4th anniversary of the encyclical letter Laudato Si’ and the 5th anniversary of the Catholic Youth Network for Environmental Sustainability in Africa (CYNESA).
UNEP’s Faith for Earth Initiative and the Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology have agreed to unite efforts by drawing on UNEP’s extensive knowledge of ecological issues and the Forum’s comprehensive website on the world’s religions. As Iyad Abu Moghli, the UN Principal Coordinator of Faith for Earth Initiative, wrote: “I have had several very constructive and fruitful meetings during the Abrahamic Traditions and Environmental Change Workshop that was held June 23-26 in Rhodes, Greece. Faith for Earth has agreed with the Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology to unite efforts and strengthen one knowledge platform building on the vast and extensive work of the Forum over the past two decades.”
On October 8, 2020, the book Faith for Earth — A Call for Action was launched during the Faith for Nature Global Conference in Skálhol, Iceland. This booklet published by the United Nations Environment Programme and the Parliament of the World’s Religions describes the essential, unshakeable reverence that all religions have for creation and nature, and introduces the world’s major life support systems.
Subscribe to the newsletter by emailing email@example.com.
UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030
Resources for Faith-Based Organizations:
* Communication resources in 8 languages
* Interested FBOs may use the social media cards to show their action in different ecosystems. FBOs and others can add the organization logo next to the UN Decade logo to share FBO action.
* UN Decade Brand Guide
* Use #GenerationRestoration when posting on Social Media to connect FBO actions for the UN Decade. All actions are collected here.
UNEP Knowledge Repository
(Scientific publications and documents produced by UNEP)
Environmental Information Resources:
- Resource Efficiency and Climate Change: Material Efficiency Strategies for a Low-Carbon Future
- Single-use Plastic Bags and their Alternatives: Recommendations from Life Cycle Assessments
- Mineral Resource Governance in the 21st Century: Gearing Extractive Industries Towards Sustainable Development
- Illegal Trade in Chemicals
Reports and Books
- Integrated Water Resources Management: Good Practices in Sudan - Adapt for Environment and Climate Resilience in Sudan (ADAPT!)
Programme Planning and Reporting
- Quarterly Report to the 149th Meeting of the Committee of Permanent Representatives: Seventh Issue - December 2019 to January 2020
- Environment Fund as at 31 December 2019
- Environment Fund Report as at 31 January 2020
- Environment Fund Report as at 29 February 2020
- Environment Fund Report as at 31 March 2020
Policy and Strategy Documents
- UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030: Partnership, Outreach and Communication Strategy - Summary Version
- Human Rights and the Environment
- UNEP Environmental and Social Sustainability Framework (ESSF)
- United Nations Environment Programme Strategy for South-South and Triangular Cooperation
Manuals, Guides and Toolkits
- Catalogue of Technologies and Services on Mercury Waste Management
- Consumo en tiempos de la COVID-19: Estilos de vida sostenibles en el hogar
- UNEP’s Environmental and Social Sustainability: Stakeholder Response Mechanism
Booklets and Brochures
- South-South Cooperation in Action: Stories of Success
- Overview of the PlanetGOLD Programme - PlanetGOLD: Making a World of Difference in Small-Scale Gold Mining - A GEF Initiative
- International Environmental Technology Centre - Annual Report 2019
- Faith for Earth: One Earth, Many Religions, One Goal - Achievement Report 2018 -2019